Remote Jobs on AfriSplash Remotely
The gateway to Africa's remote workforce🌍
Are you passionate about the Linux kernel? Or maybe you’ve mastered a different low-level software development environment and are ready for a new challenge in Linux? Are you looking to work on a great team, where you can apply and grow your kernel development skills? This is an exciting time at Canonical, where due to a period of unprecedented growth we are seeking a number of software engineers to join our Kernel Team to play an integral part in the delivery of the heart of the most popular Linux distribution in the world.
The Canonical Linux Kernel Team is responsible for developing and maintaining all supported Ubuntu Linux kernels, which run on a variety of platforms and architectures from small embedded devices to standard desktop/server systems to large scale cloud environments. The Kernel Team has openings for software engineers in a number of aspects that include but are not limited to:
Ubuntu Linux distribution
Optimized Ubuntu solutions for key Silicon and Cloud partners
Developer platforms such as Raspberry Pi and RISC-V
Enabling Ubuntu on a wide range of embedded systems
Livepatch service, which allows Ubuntu customers to apply critical kernel (CVE) security fixes without rebooting
Real-Time and Low Latency systems
Virtualization or abstraction engines
We are seeking candidates of all experience levels from recent University graduates up through seasoned industry experts who are enthusiastic to develop software in multiple areas including security mitigation, feature development, patching and test. This person must have a background in software engineering, be motivated to work in a distributed team and willing to travel globally up to 4 times a year for internal and external engineering events.
What your day will look like
- Collaborate regularly and proactively with a globally distributed team
- Work closely with external silicon, cloud, or hardware manufacturer delivery teams on bleeding edge platforms
- Diagnose and resolve issues in the kernel reported by customers and the community
- Take personal responsibility for the delivery of various flavors of the Ubuntu Linux kernel
- Improve tooling and automation for delivery and test of Ubuntu Linux kernels
- Submit, review, and apply kernel patches, working with both internal and external upstream maintainers
What we are looking for in you
- Well-organized, self-starting and able to deliver to fixed schedules
- Demonstrated ability to present oneself in a professional manner when interacting with colleagues, business partners, and the open source community
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both written and oral
- Earned a bachelor’s (or equivalent university level) degree, preferably in a technology field
- Significant programming experience in C, with Python and Bash scripting also highly regarded
- Solid background with git
- Broad knowledge of the Linux kernel and kernel subsystems
- Demonstrated experience with kernel patching and debugging
- Knowledge/experience with Linux kernel upstream processes and release cycle
- Strong grasp of device drivers, BSP’s, and other low level system engineering
- Prior experience with Ubuntu/Debian/Snap packaging would be highly regarded
What we offer you
Your base pay will depend on various factors including your geographical location, level of experience, knowledge and skills. In addition to the benefits above, certain roles are also eligible for additional benefits and rewards including annual bonuses and sales incentives based on revenue or utilisation. Our compensation philosophy is to ensure equity right across our global workforce.
In addition to a competitive base pay, we provide all team members with additional benefits, which reflect our values and ideals. Please note that additional benefits may apply depending on the work location and, for more information on these, you can ask in the later stages of the recruitment process.
Fully remote working environment – we’ve been working remotely since 2004!
Personal learning and development budget of 2,000USD per annum
Annual compensation review
Annual holiday leave
Employee Assistance Programme
Opportunity to travel to new locations to meet colleagues at sprints’
Priority Pass for travel and travel upgrades for long haul company events
Canonical is a pioneering tech firm that is at the forefront of the global move to open source. As the company that publishes Ubuntu, one of the most important open source projects and the platform for AI, IoT and the cloud, we are changing the world on a daily basis. We recruit on a global basis and set a very high standard for people joining the company. We expect excellence – in order to succeed, we need to be the best at what we do.
Canonical has been a remote-first company since its inception in 2004. Work at Canonical is a step into the future, and will challenge you to think differently, work smarter, learn new skills, and raise your game. Canonical provides a unique window into the world of 21st-century digital business.
Canonical is an equal opportunity employer
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background create a better work environment and better products. Whatever your identity, we will give your application fair consideration.
Get the latest job publications.
Join our mailing list.